My tried and tested method to website bliss, from your brief to ‘go live’ in 5 steps.
I strive to make the process of designing, building and broadcasting your website live to the world as quickly and as smoothly as possible.
The way I achieve this is through a tried and tested approach, broken down into set stages that let’s both parties, know exactly where we are and exactly what information is needed to keep the project moving along nicely and finished on time.
Every stage is managed through the Project Management Tool Basecamp which can be accessed by my clients at any stage. It includes a long and comprehensive list of ‘to do’s’ not only for me, but for you the client. It’s an ever changing list, due to the quick moving nature of web development and is split into…
Stage 0. Brief, costs and timelines.
Before we kick things off, we meet either in person or via Skype and go through a questionnaire (you may have filled this in online already) and decide on a brief, sitemap, costs and timelines. Upon agreement we put together a proposal and a contract. On receipt of a deposit payment (50% payment up front, remaining 50% on completion) and a signed contract, we get the ball rolling.
- Talk through with you to understand your requirements, give suggestions and firm up a sitemap
- Deliver a proposal on estimated costs, timelines and confirm the brief
- Send over contract for you to sign.
- To answer all questions in our brief questionnaire form
- Give us an honest budget you have to spend to complete the project
- Sign and agree with our basic contract and pay the 50% deposit of the estimated cost up front (remainder will be invoiced on completion) to get things started.
Stage 1. Logins, Content and Design.
- Create visuals of your website. If a complex website, I may visualise near on all pages in the site. If a simpler website, just home page and one other page.
- Create a presentation for you, which we will run through with you in person or over Skype.
- Gather feedback from you and make any amends.
- Send us all login details for your existing website, hosting package, domain name package if you have them (don’t worry if you do not have a hosting package or domain name registered, this will all be in the initial proposal).
- Send me all copy and imagery for every page within the website. This is vitally important pre-design. I will not proceed with the design of the website until all this information is with me (if you prefer, I can suggest a copywriter that can create your content for you – estimates on request).
- Give feedback on the design I create of your website and sign off before the actual website build.
Stage 2. Pre-Development.
- Setup and test your hosting server
- Install WordPress and implement Bootstrap, Thesis and any relevant CSS & JS
Stage 3. Website Development.
- Add basic content to the website
- Amend the generic WordPress settings in line with your website design
- Implement any fonts that will be needed
- Build and develop the basic layout of the website
- Build and develop all custom pages within the website
- Install or Build custom plugins that add functionality
- Create Widgets and embed into the relevant areas within the website
- Thoroughly test the website functionality
- Test website for responsiveness and compliance with the latest Browsers
- Migrate any data across to the remote server (your hosting package) from either an old website or the local version (stored on our servers) of the website we have built
- Test website working correctly on the remote server
- Setup any Google functionality that was required, such as Google Analytics, Webmaster Tools and Site Verification
- Undertake any SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) that is required. Vitally important to factor well on Google.
- Setup any email accounts and Social Media accounts on behalf of the client
- Take down the holding page (temporary landing page while the website is being constructed) and go live!
- To run through every page within the website and check all content and layout before signing the website off
- To reap the benefits of a new website to wow your clients, friends & family!
Stage 4. Training & Maintenance and Digital Marketing
- If you have chosen to receive training, we give you face to face (or Skype if easier due to location) training on how to use your new website.
- If you have chosen a maintenance contract, we will ensure your site is checked once a month for hacks, plugin updates and will offer 1 hour of amends or tweaks if needed (anything over 1 hours will be charged at our hourly rate)
- We can help you promote your website through Digital Marketing techniques on top of the Search Optimisation included in the package – namely, Blog writing/Copywriting, PR, Google AdWords, Facebook Ads, Email Marketing – Prices on request.
- Receive training and look sharp!
- Send us any future developments you want. A website should be constantly updated and moving with the technology and your customers.
- Let us know if you need any assistance with promoting your website
By sticking to these 5 steps, I normally achieve a website from brief to completion in 4-6 weeks from approval of estimate and the 50% deposit paid.